Electric Fireplace Error Codes: E1-E2-E3-E5 [Causes & Solutions]

Like any electronic device, your electric fireplace can sometimes experience technical issues. One common problem that electric fireplace owners may encounter is the error codes E1, E2, E3 and E5. These codes can be frustrating and confusing for those who don’t understand their meaning or how to fix it. So, what do these electric fireplace error codes means? And how can you fix E1-E2-E3-E5 Errors?

  • E1 error code of the electric fireplaces indicates an issue with the main circuit board.
  • E2 code error of the electric fireplaces indicates an issue with the temperature controller’s internal clock system.
  • E3 code indicates the overheating of the electric fireplace detected by the sensors.
  • E4 error code indicates a potential failure of the fireplace’s motor or fan mechanism.
  • Error Code E5 indicate an issue with the fireplace ventilation system or fan.

This blog post will explain what these electric fireplace error codes are, what may be causing them, and how to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

What Does E1 Mean on an Electric Fireplace?

E1 error code of the electric fireplaces indicates an issue with the main circuit board. Unfortunately, 95% chances are of the circuit board failure. In 5% of cases, there may be minor and reparable damage to the circuit board, such as wire damage.

There is no replacement available for the circuit board.

How can you Fix the E1 error?

The only way to fix the E1 error is to replace your heating unit or contact your product service helpline for company replacement.

fixing electric fireplace

Electric fireplaces circuit boards are not replaceable, and if you find a professional that claims to do the task, still, there are damage chances after some use.

But wait!!

Don’t throw your heating unit anywhere. If your product is under warranty, don’t try any repairs. Contact the supplier to replace it.

However, if the warranty period ends, gently observe the inside wiring of your fireplace to the main board, and if you find any damaged wire, seek professional help.

What is the E2 electric fireplace error code?

Electric fireplace E2 code error indicates an issue with your heating unit temperature controller’s internal clock system that can trigger more issues, including auto on and shut off the fireplace and not blowing hot air.

This error can occur if the clock system is not functioning properly or if there is a communication error between the clock and other parts of the fireplace.

How to Fix E2 error?

To resolve this issue, you may need to reset the fireplace. Reset your insert. You can also try unplugging it from the power source and then plugging it back in after a few minutes or replacing the control unit of the temperature clock.

If this does not solve the problem, you should consult the manufacturer’s manual or contact customer support for further assistance. In some cases, a faulty temperature controller may need to be replaced by a qualified technician.

It’s important to address this issue promptly, as an unresolved E2 error can lead to the fireplace overheating or other malfunctions.

What does electric fireplace E3 code means?

electric fireplace e3 error code display

Electric fireplace e3 code indicates the overheating of the unit that can cause severe damage to your fireplaces. When the overheating sensor of the electric fireplaces is triggered, it shows the E3 code on your insert with a temperature icon.

The overheating of electric fireplaces mainly occurs when there is a blocked airflow of air inlets and outlets.

The E3 error code needs immediate attention. It can even make your insert fire inside.

How to fix E3 code in electric fireplaces?

  • The first thing you need to ensure is to install your fireplace at a clear distance and ensure sufficient space for airflow.
  • Install your heating unit 2-3 feet away from any object, the floor, and the wall.
  • Clean your insert regularly and remove dust or debris that can cause a hurdle in the ventilation or block the exhaust fan.
  • Check for the other reasons that can trigger the overheating sensor, such as wiring issues, Fan motor failure or overuse.
  • Unplug your fireplace for at least 20-30 minutes to cool before reuse.
electric fireplace board burnt.

What Does E4 Code Mean on an Electric Fireplace?

If you encounter error code E4, it indicates a potential failure of the fireplace’s motor or fan mechanism. The motor is responsible for powering the flame effect and circulating heat throughout the room. A malfunctioning motor can result in reduced performance or complete failure of the fireplace.

What does E5 mean on an Electric fireplace?

Electric Fireplace Error Code E5 means there is an issue with your fireplace ventilation system, or your fireplace fan is not working properly. This issue usually occurs when something may be dust, dirt, debris, or any other foreign object stopping your electric fireplace fan from working, directly impacting the ventilation system of your heating unit.

What does E5 mean on an Electric fireplace?

How to Troubleshoot the E5 error code in your electric fireplace?

  • To troubleshoot the E5 error code in your electric fireplace. You need to unplug your fireplace from the main power and then check your heating unit fan for any blockage.
  • Observe if anything is blocking the fan blades or mooter, such as dirt, debris or any other foreign object triggering the E5 code.
  • Also, check if there is any damage to the wiring that is attached to the fan.
  • Gently look into the venting duct that goes through the fireplace fan if something is stuck there. Many times, small rodents can get stuck inside the vent.

How to Fix E5 error in Fireplace?

  • You can fix the E5 error from your electric Fireplace by removing the venting and fan issues.
  • Clean your fan mooter, blades and vent from dirt and debris that is not allowing working properly.
  • Ensure all the fan wires are in good condition. If there is any damage, replace it.
  • If all is okay, unplug your Fireplace for 5 minutes and then plug it back into the main source to see if it is fine.
  • If your electric fireplace fan motor is damaged or burnt, replace it.
  • If you are unsure what is causing the problem, seek professional help.

You May Also Like To Read:

Reason for Electric Fireplaces Overheating

stone frame electric fireplace

Blocked air vents: Electric fireplaces have air vents that allow proper air circulation to cool down the internal components. If these vents are blocked, it can cause the fireplace to overheat.

Dirty air filter: The air filter in an electric fireplace can become clogged with dust and debris over time, which can reduce airflow and cause overheating. Cleaning Guide.

Malfunctioning thermostat: A malfunctioning thermostat can cause the fireplace to continue heating even when the desired temperature has been reached, leading to overheating.

Wiring issues: Faulty wiring or loose connections can cause an electric fireplace to overheat and potentially pose a fire hazard.

Fan motor failure: The fan motor is responsible for circulating air throughout the fireplace and preventing overheating. If the fan motor fails, the fireplace can overheat.

Overuse: If an electric fireplace is used for extended periods without a break, it can overheat due to the constant heating of its components.

Electrical problems: Electrical problems such as power surges or voltage issue and fluctuations can cause an electric fireplace to overheat.


Can I repair an electric fireplace error code myself?

While some minor issues can be resolved independently, it’s recommended to consult the manufacturer or a professional technician for complex repairs.

How often should I clean my electric fireplace?

Aim to clean your electric fireplace at least once every few months, or more frequently if you notice excessive dust buildup.

Why is my electric fireplace making strange noises?

Strange noises may indicate mechanical issues, such as motor or fan malfunctions. Contact customer support for further assistance.

Can error codes indicate safety hazards?

Yes, error codes such as overheating or power supply issues can pose safety hazards if not addressed promptly. Always follow manufacturer recommendations for troubleshooting.

Is it normal for my electric fireplace to emit a burning smell?

A slight burning smell may be normal when using an electric fireplace for the first few times. However, persistent or strong odors should be investigated further to ensure safety.

Affiliate Disclosure: Fireplaceadviser.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. We may earn a commission when you click on certain links on this site and purchase.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top